TOP TIPS – HIRING A NANNY OR BABYSITTER
Finding the perfect nanny or babysitter is important – you need to have absolute trust in the person you leave your children with. But, don’t worry! Finding a nanny or babysitter can be started online from home or work, it’s simple and it’s significantly more affordable than engaging a recruitment agency. Kate Christie, Director Babysitters and More shares her Top Tips:
- Safety – when you prepare your short list of child carers ensure each carer has a current Working with Children Check (WWC or Blue Card) or a Police Check or is prepared to get one prior to commencing with you. A WWC assesses the level of risk an individual poses to the safety of children and is more targeted and broader than a Police Check.
- Telephone screening – this will help you short list and will save you a lot of time in the long run. Use telephone screening to verify each carer’s experience and qualifications, discuss commencement date, required days/ hours, specific duties and hourly rate of pay. Try and get a feel for the carer’s personality. Get the great ones to send their CV and arrange a face to face interview.
- CV review – a CV is a summary of the carers education, skills and experience. Make sure you read it! Check for qualifications (if this is one of your requirements) and certifications (WWC, Police Check, First Aid etc). Identify the areas you want to follow up with questions.
- Face to face interviews – are crucial! It’s amazing how many times you hear that someone has hired a nanny off the strength of a phone call or recommendation without first meeting them! You need to meet the carer to verify whether this is THE person you want looking after your kids. Use the interview to discuss your general philosophies about the role to ensure the candidate is of a like mind. Ask open ended questions to get more than a ‘yes/no’ answer. Listen carefully to the answers and watch the candidate’s body language.
- Meet the kids – ALWAYS have the carer meet your kids before you make a recruitment decision. If the carer can’t handle your kids when you are there, they have no chance when you are not! Watch everyone’s body language and let your kids ask questions to see how the nanny interacts with them.
- Intuition – At every step of the way trust your intuition and judgement. If it doesn’t feel right then it probably isn’t.
Babysitters and More in 2010 is an online service putting busy people in touch with local Nannies, Babysitters, Cleaners, Tutors, Personal Carers, Pet sitters, Dog walkers & more! Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra and regional areas.
Find Babysitters and More on Facebook